A Room of My Own

Monday 28 April 2014


As I write this, I keep looking up and staring out of my (emphasis on 'my') window at the big southern magnolia tree that stands towering over the little courtyard that I now cross everyday on my way out onto the street. Anyone who knows me in Paris, knows how hard I have worked to make what I now have a reality - my own little studio in Paris, or in the words of Virginia Woolf: 'a room of one's own'. I mention these words as they have been on repeat over the past few months as I've stayed at friends' flats, carting my suitcase from place to place as I sought out more work and saved up enough money for a deposit to live on my own. 

It is not easy moving to a new city. When I first moved here, I admittedly had it easy, and although the last few months have been tough, I persevered and fought (probably more than I've ever done before) to stay and make this city my own.

When people ask how I've done it, I will answer: with determination, hard work and a lot of help from my friends. I'm not someone who likes to rely on people, but I've had to allow myself to be vulnerable and ask friends for help. As a result, I've learnt a lot about myself, learnt not to take things for granted, learnt to stand on my own two feet again and learnt to become a better person, friend and girlfriend.

I've learnt more about myself in these three short months than probably the last few years living in London. I could have gone back, and I did think about it, but I feel so much better and happier for sticking my heels in the ground, making a decision to stay and making my dream to live in Paris a reality.

3 comments :

  1. I'm so incredibly happy for you darling. It's so true, these kind of experiences (although they're not the most amusing ones) makes us grow. Gosh I'm happy you decided to stick with it and not go back to London! Lots of love ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carin! And thanks for your support too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're happy you stayed : ) Well done for sticking it out and not giving up xx

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground