RR Recommends: Ceramicists

Wednesday 28 January 2015




The Object Enthusiast | Paper & Clay | Helen Levi | One Suite Studio
You may have noticed from a few of my posts that I have a thing for ceramics. There's something about their unique handmade quality that I find particularly beautiful, considering the love and time that goes in to them. I've mentioned a couple of times that my mum makes pots, but what I probably didn't mention is that she has a little studio down at the bottom of the garden Poddington Peas style (you'll have to have been raised in the UK to get that one), complete with potters wheel. Over Christmas I thought I'd try my hand at it. She's been making ceramics off and on for years - in fact it helped cure her post natal depression - and every time I go back to visit, I leave laden with bowls, pots and dishes in various shapes, sizes and glazes, which are currently spread all over the apartment - some purely for decoration and others that have adopted specific uses. My new year's resolution is to learn, as I've been looking for a hobby that doesn't give me square eyes. Last year I started following quite a few ceramic artists on Instagram, so thought I'd share a few of my favourites.
Are you taking up a new hobby this year? 

1 comment :

  1. love the post, wish i had taken photos of Caron's studio up near La Pinos, about 35 minutes drive from La Montanosa, she has two big rooms, plenty of wedging tables, 2 kilns but sadly no wheels at this time. will only be able to do hand building if i go there and as you know i prefer to make pots|! we shall continue your pot making when you come again to Canterbury to my studio. that is if we can ever manage to be in the same country at the same time! mooxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground